Yang \Yang\, v. i. To make the cry of the wild goose. [1913 Webster]
yang \yang\, n. (Chinese philosophy) One of the two fundamental principles. See yin and yang. [PJC]
Word Netyang n : the bright positive masculine principle in Chinese dualistic cosmology; "yin and yang together produce everything that comes into existence" [ant: yin]
- Rhymes: -æŋ
Usage notesEnglish transcriptions of Chinese speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Chinese language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
Yang may refer to:
- Yang (the God): an ancient faith in Tây Nguyên, Vietnam.
- Yang (character), The fictional character from the Disney/Jetix show Yin Yang Yo!.
- Yang is a transcription of several Chinese words as they are
pronounced in Mandarin:
- 陽 or 阳
(yáng), a word that may mean "(sun)light," "good," "heaven," etc.
- This is also the word for one half of the two opposing forces in Chinese philosophy, described as "bright positive masculine principle" in Chinese dualistic cosmology of yin and yang
- 楊 or 杨
is a word for certain tree species, such as the poplar and the
- Yang (surname), is usually transcribed from this word. E.g. Edward Zhong Zhong Yang
- 羊, sheep or goat, and symbol for the eighth of twelve animals in Chinese astrology.
- 洋 (yáng), a word for "ocean," which may also be used as a prefix to form words that refer to foreign people, objects, or ideas that have reached China from overseas
- 陽 or 阳 (yáng), a word that may mean "(sun)light," "good," "heaven," etc.
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong, the constitutional monarch of Malaysia
- Yang is Experiment 502 in Lilo and Stitch: The Series
- Yang Fang Leiden - a fictional character from Final Fantasy IV
- Yang Lee - a character in the Street Fighter III series of fighting videogames.
- Chen Ning Yang: a Nobel Prize winning physicist.
- Yang Zhongjian (杨钟健, 1897-1979), a Chinese paleontologist
yang in German: Yang
yang in French: Yang
yang in Korean: 양 (동음이의)
yang in Dutch: Yang